SailNet Community - View Single Post - What You Have Learned After Becoming a Liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009

jhack82 is on a distinguished road
I recently moved aboard in September, and I have found out that you should finish the boat before you move aboard, makes everyone happy and there is always a project to do, and also, nothing is sacred, the designers weren't me and as long as I'm not screwing with the structure, it’s all good and fair game. As eryka so aptly stated, if it feel like you are camping, change it. Especially if its your wife telling you about it. .
Also, food is hard to keep, at $2 a bag, a ice box fridge converter pays for itself in 10 months.
It does no good to buy something and not install it. (I say this while I’ve had a hot water heater In my cockpit for 3 weeks. I hope to rectify that over the next week)
CNG is a pain in the butt to get your hands on
50% think you are crazy, 50% wish they could, and 90% of the fist 50% are women it seems.
Stools are very helpful(especially for her, but I use them too)
Litter boxes are the way a cat gets revenge on a boat
If it’s a small dark space, the cat will find it.
Don’t try to do too much in a day, you just frustrate yourself and end up doing shoddy work.
Nor’easters Suck
I should have bought foul weather gear first
Whatever it takes, warmth is worth it.

On a side note, I have a quick question, what's a good way to level a boat? I tried moving my tools forward, but there it had only a little effect. I found 30lbs of lead in the forepeak anyway. A second anchor I guess? I seem to be aft heavy of late, doesn't do much for the whole sailing aspect of the boat if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps, oh, and its a great way to live, but it is hard and every one else struggles to change and find what works at first too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook