SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jack Line - Home Made?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
And I have seen many snap shackles released by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
you should not use a biner on the harness end you should use a snap shackle with a lanyard to release the gate. that way when your hung up or being dragged you can release yourself with out having to pull you weight off the lanyard
I have seen the "double-squeeze" biners jam up with dirt or ice too many times. Too many parts.

No thanks. I have taken many hundreds, probably thousands of falls on carabiners and they are what I trust. If I want extra safety, I can use 2 biners or an ordinary locker (no auto-lockers - they don't deal with ice, dirt, or salt well).

If I am being dragged, releasing myself is generally a death sentence, isn't it? If there is another person helping me, presumably they would have given me another rope and the existing tether will be released with a knife. There are many on board and 2 under the helm seat.

There are numerous tricks for releasing a biner under load, not easy, but I guess I have done it a lot. There are also habits for clipping biners to prevent them from self-unclipping (never clip to a hard point; clip from underneath, with the gate facing out - this also makes it easier to unclip under load). Safety biners are a lot more idiot proof, so I do understand.

But I understand yours is the majority opinion. I'm OK with that.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook