SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jack Line - Home Made?
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 11-14-2009
pdqaltair

And I have seen many snap shackles released by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
you should not use a biner on the harness end you should use a snap shackle with a lanyard to release the gate. that way when your hung up or being dragged you can release yourself with out having to pull you weight off the lanyard
I have seen the "double-squeeze" biners jam up with dirt or ice too many times. Too many parts.

No thanks. I have taken many hundreds, probably thousands of falls on carabiners and they are what I trust. If I want extra safety, I can use 2 biners or an ordinary locker (no auto-lockers - they don't deal with ice, dirt, or salt well).

If I am being dragged, releasing myself is generally a death sentence, isn't it? If there is another person helping me, presumably they would have given me another rope and the existing tether will be released with a knife. There are many on board and 2 under the helm seat.

There are numerous tricks for releasing a biner under load, not easy, but I guess I have done it a lot. There are also habits for clipping biners to prevent them from self-unclipping (never clip to a hard point; clip from underneath, with the gate facing out - this also makes it easier to unclip under load). Safety biners are a lot more idiot proof, so I do understand.

But I understand yours is the majority opinion. I'm OK with that.

Writing full-time since 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome