SailNet Community - View Single Post - The admiral said it wouldn't work; It did!
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
The admiral said it wouldn't work; It did!

We bought our Morgan Tiger Cub in February and something's been bugging us since day one. The windvane at the top of the mast was bent back:

It just didn't look right and prolly wasn't all that consistant at that angle. I don't have the ability to get up there to fix it and I've been thinking of ways to strighten it from the deck. Today I decided to give my best idea a try. I had an old spreader lying around:

Drilled a few holes:

And then fastened it to the backstay. I used the main halyard (tied the bitter end to the bottom of the old spreader to form a continous loop) and ran it up the backstay:

It just touched the bottom of the windvane, that was the first failure:

So I drilled another hole, lower on the old spreader. It pushed the windvane up a little but it seemed to spring almost all the way back, that was the second failure:

So I drilled another hole, even lower on the old spreader. It pushed the windvane up and I tried to compensate for the "spring back" effect. Well, it didn't spring back now it was too high, third failue:

So, I made a little "hook" with a bolt:

Ran it up the backstay one more time, success:

Now the boat looks great and the best part: The admiral admitted I'm a freakin genius

Next day!

Fat-assed bird!

DB

Last edited by Dirtboy; 11-18-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook