SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone own a Rocna anchor???
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I just re-read the Practical Sailor Anchor Test article...

and I can't believe I missed the glaring problems with this test. For years everyone has been saying the Bruce has less holding power than the CQR, Spade & Fast Set. If you look at the article carefully you'll see that they compared a Bruce 22# to a Spade A80 (the equivalent Spade anchor in steel is 33# and a CQR 35#. No crap the Bruce had less holding power it's a far smaller anchor and not an equal test! In terms of setting the Bruce came in #1. Setting is based on shape not weight so setting charactistics are more fair. Only the Delta & the Bruce we're of the 22# size and held 550lbs. and 610lbs. but the Delta was rated 7th for setting. I'll opt for better setting re-setting over a 10% holding difference any day...

In terms of re-setting the CQR rolled out and dragged 9 feet before digging in again. The Spade did not move but was rated 7th for setting in mud. The Delta Fast Set broke free and dragged 5 feet before re-setting. The Bruce "rotated horizontally" and moved a total of 4 inches.

Results can be very misleading. I would love to know the holding power of the Bruce 33# and Delta 33# compared to the CQR and Spade. My guess is they would all be fairly close. So I should have read the results more carefully before buying the Spade. Perhaps my Bruce really does have good holding power after all.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook