SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need purchasing advice on Ericson 35-2
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjslife View Post
I have the chance to buy a 1973 Ericson 35-2 for 8k. It has no motor but the shaft and prop is still in. the top side needs some paint but otherwise the inside looks great. If i was to buy it my thoughts were to put a diesel in instead of the atomic 4 wich it had. How sea worthy are these boats? Coast or open water? I also noticed theres no compresion post inside. Surfing the net i saw that some had none. Is this normal and would it be advised to put one in or leave it the way it is. I know nothing of these Ericsons so any and all advice would be helpfull. Also is there anything i should lookout for that may be bad on this boat because im thinking of buying it for a liveaboard. thanks in advance
in my pm i forgot to mention the diesel--mine was given a yanmar 2 qm 20 H diesel--i love it---but those are no longer sold here --epa said they are dirty lol....or some such--but has to do with epa rulings regarding diesel engines on boats. anyway....is huge in the small space providsed and the prop is incorrect....LOL.....hampers forward momentum lol......but is a good idea to exchange atom bomb for air pump(diesel) in them--there are smaller sized for the hp engines--i have 20 hp for a 35 ft boat ----but , look at the water line --isnt much there for length...more deck....for length over all.....cool shape to keel.....sail fast and are fun to sail short distances--gets to be a lot of work i n a crossing---but that can be addressed to a degree---and there is a mod for the weather helm thing.....goood boats with proper treatment and care--as any boat---excellently built--not a punch out..LOL..they have crossed oceans and done long distance races with goood results--won newport ensenada as balderdash---there are other races mine has won in her class under name balderdash--she is a 1979 model.....has a wooden interior by bruce king....a 1973 near me has a white plastic liner inside liner.........some have cabinets and some do not--mine does not---was raced many years before i got her...

Last edited by zeehag; 11-17-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: boatkat isunt gud speeler...LOL..cannot typo eethur
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook