SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice Needed - New Rigging
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsouder View Post
I have a 28' Beneteau and am replacing all the lines. I have been given the option of using either Sta-Set lines or Low Stretch Endura Braid lines. There is roughly a $500 difference between the two.

We are just casual weekend sailors and don't do any serious racing or overnights. We want to get something that will last and we like to take care of our boat but don't want to overspend if we don't need to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ted
Hi Ted, Welcome to Sailnet!

My first thought on your question is that it doesn't necessarily have to be an either/or, all-or-nothing decision. In other words, not all your running rigging needs to be super low stretch, but some of it would benefit from low-stretch characteristics.

On a boat your size, I would probably want all my halyards to be reasonably low-stretch. It doesn't necessarily have to be Endura, though. A product comparable to Sta-Set X (a lower stretch version of Sta-Set) would probably be fine. On the other hand, regular Sta-Set or comparable would be fine for most of your sheets, vang, etc.

For sheets, it's sometimes nice to upsize the diameter by 1/16 or 1/8" for better feel in your hands (provided they will still run fair in any blocks through which they pass).

I would suggest that you shop around a bit and compare offerings from New England Ropes, Samson, Yale Cordage, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook