SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice Needed - New Rigging
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
One issue with the Sta-Set X is that it is a parallel (non-woven) core so you will need special procedures for eye splicing it. I have not done this but others on the forum can help I'm sure. The Sta-Set X is about the highest strength option for low cost; but one issue is that it is a bit unruly once it has worn in as it gets hard and likes to hold hassles and twist. Vectran is similar; while dyneema remains more pliable.

You might also look into Samson XLS Extra-T; or Yale Vizzion. Samson Warpspeed is about twice the price per foot; but it also is nearly twice the strength. You definitely want a low stretch line for your halyards; it's just a matter of how low stretch you are willing to pay for. We use the 1/2" Yale Vizzion as it is what the boat was equipped with when I bought it. At times I wish it was lower stretch; but the halyard length is over 60' to the clutch. We just give it a 2'nd grind to take any slack in the luff out. Overall it is good for a budget halyard; fine for daysailing and cruising.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook