SailNet Community - View Single Post - Life aboard a 24'' sloop?
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006

ShirKhan is on a distinguished road
I really like the looks of Pearsons, I checked out a Pearson 26 once and they're very pretty boats in a totally functional way...they always look like they "want" to be going somewhere when they're tied up at a dock(?). I did hear that in some models there was some rudder problem, but I can't remember the model or the details offhand, something about certain ones being built with bad bearings or something. But Pearsons are definitely up there in my esteem regardless.

I'm researching my next boat, basically by taking every boat I find interesting (and that I can afford) and doing my best to find as many owners in person, or on message boards on the Net, or owner reviews on websites like SailNet BoatCheck, and seeing what they have to say, good and bad. Although there are at least a dozen models I find myself really attracted to, if I had to go strictly by "owner love", I'd have to say that the Columbia 26MkII, the Coronado 25, and the Rawson 26 and 30 (harder to find) are like "Gods of the Sea" in that respect! Although at a distance, I can find certain things about them I personally don't find ideal, you have to be impressed by the owner loyalty.

Even money, I probably end up with a boat that wasn't even on my list in the first place. I think most of the purpose of my "research" is to entertain myself, dithering around looking at boats, until July or so when I actually move west and can lay cash down and do something about it...I've been living on the Gulf but my family is on the west coast, my Mom is up in years, so I sold my last boat and I'm hoping to transition to a liveaboard situation somewhere in the PNW. Have to have a worthy vessel, because I've heard that the Pacific is a "totally different animal"...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook