SailNet Community - View Single Post - Splicing
Thread: Splicing
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
search here at Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
I am replacing the man/jib halyards on my boat. i found a place with great deal on 3/8" low stretch 4400 rated (w/30% safety factor)... 280' for 99$, however they wanted to charge 30$/splice so I declined figuring I would either knot it or splice myself. ive figured out that i need a splicing fid, but wondered how hard it is to do and if you have any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Quinn
Search here at sailnet for threads on eye splicing double braid. It's where I found the link to Norson splice. I've only tried a core to core splice as described by Sampson and New England Ropes websites once and couldn't keep track of all the marks I had to make on the core and braid. The Norson splice looks and is simple. I use a home made fid to push the cover braids around and pull the core out. It's just as pretty except not tapered. There's no tapering in the instructions on the site so I need to figure out how to do that to make the end result prettier. It should be strong and I aim to find out. I've done lines from 1/4 to 1/2 and they look and feel great.

I'm going to buy premade halyards from canjuntrading.ca because the price is too good to pass up. I want to splice lines onto the mainsheet traveler, the boom vang, the backstay adjuster, etc. A bowline works fine but an eye splice looks so much better.
Mike
Cal 36 #54
Ida Rose
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook