SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fees and Charges in the Caribbean
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009

Tanny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Tanny
Fees and Charges in the Caribbean

Hello everyone,
I've tried to skim over many of the posts here and apologize if these questions have already been answered elsewhere.

I'm currently trying to put together a cost estimate for living aboard a 35-40 foot sailboat in the Caribbean, and aside from the usual maintenance and repair costs for the boat, I can't find much info about other kinds of fees and charges to expect.

For instance, registration, insurance, internet connections, licensing, property taxes, moorage fees (or slip fees, but I don't want to spend much time in a slip).

Also, I'm not sure about the whole process of sailing into a different country, and what needs to be done or how much it costs.

The question of insurance is important too. I'm looking at buying a boat that is likely to be over 20 years old. Is insurance even available for older boats? Do I need to have a land based address to get insurance? And do I need to have insurance in order to get the boat hauled out and the bottom re-painted - or any other kind of work done on it? Do I need insurance just to fill the fuel and water tanks?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Tanny
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook