SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice Needed - New Rigging
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Not sure a 440 lb load is quite right for a halyard. You may put 440 lbs on it in the initial pullup, but what happens when you have a 30 knot breeze? that 4" stretch now becomes something more.
Not sure I believe that. I have sailed in winds well over 30 knots and not noticed significant stretch on my halyard. Based on empirical evidence, I do not think strong winds put a large load on the halyard on my boat.

Also OP stated that they are casual day sailors. I suspect they would not be sailing in 30 knot winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Wat I also like about the xlsextra, is the definite color choices, I use red/blue tracer for jib lines, green/blue for spin gear, and cream/blue for main sail. I do have some lessor stretch lines, but again, try to keep the colors appropriate for the sail at hand. Also makes it easier for newbies, if they do not know where the jib sheet is, grab the "red line!" works real well!
That is a good point. The main reason I use the same for everything is so that I can buy a spool. This saves me a lot of money. If you are going to buy pieces anyway to get different colors, the extra cost of upgrading your halyards to low stretch would probably not be that much.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook