SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going to Sea? What watch would you wear?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
Gee..... I guess I must miss a lot. Could you please tell me by star gazing what the tide will be doing as I pull into my marina next Sunday at 4 PM ?
We just had a new moon, so about a week later that'd be about the first quarter moon, a neap tide, and the sun maximum would be noon and midnight, and the moon maximum would be around 6am and 6pm, so I'd guess it would be coming up on high tide (with variability for where you are). Could be wrong. I didn't mean I or anyone else could always predict tides out into the future, I meant that if you're watching the sky a lot and know what phase the moon is in you know when the spring and neap tides are, and after a while you just figure out based on where you sail what the tides are likely to be doing. Is that such an odd thing to say ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 11-18-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook