SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going to Sea? What watch would you wear?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I agree with some earlier posts that suggest the watch is totally cosmetic fashion and not functional. Your GPS has the time and your back-up GPS has the same time. Wear the bracelet as it pleases you. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Ok give us a break. If you don't like a watch dont wear one, but recognize some of us want to know what time it is when there isn't a GPS nearby.

My watch is my watch. Its a fairly expensive Seiko, but I wear it day in, day out, working, flying, swimming whatever I'm doing, not just sailing. If I loose it, Oh well, I'll buy another one, because I like having a rugged, nice looking watch that has proven the equal of the abuse I can dish out. I don't have multiple watches for different activities, its just my watch until it breaks, and then I get a new one.

As far as relyng on the GPS time, when I am sailing, I find I sometimes want to know the time when someone else is at the helm and looking at the GPS wouldn't be convienient. When flying, I find it much simpler to check my wristwatch than navigate away from the screens I'm using for navigation to the page to get the time.

Those are some valid reasons why people choose to have a timepiece on them. If you don't like a watch, fine but don't try to denigrate those that do as some followers of a fashion fad.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook