SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learning to cruise and live aboard
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 11-18-2009 Thread Starter
GregX999

Thanks for all the advice guys!

wind_magic - I DO realize cruising isn't all margaritas and sunsets. I've read a few books (by L. & L. Pardy and by Annie Hill) - so I realize (at a purely logical level) the amount of comforts being given up. But obviously just "pretending" to do it in your house isn't quite the same.

mikeandrebecca - Wow, that's quite an endorsement. Thanks! (Are you sure you don't own the company? )

braidmike - Yeah, that's what I figured would be the best way to learn. It would just suck to jump-in feet-first (what other way is there really?) and then after a month or 2 or 6 decide that you want out. And yeah, the money thing can be scary - it's so hard to get a realistic picture of what's needed - I read stories of people out sailing for years on $1000/month, and others saying they need $4000/month. Obviously comfort-level has something to do with that (ie: refrigeration, water makers, boat size, etc.), as well as how handy you are (ie: scraping and painting your own hull, etc.).

SVAuspicious - Unfortunately, I have ZERO interest in racing. But I get what you're saying... just get out there and start "doing".

I realize there's no perfect way to go about it, no way to know *for sure* how much I'd like it, no way to learn *everything* I'd need/want to know. Well, at least I'm young and single and the "spirit of adventure" hasn't been squashed out of me yet!

Greg
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome