SailNet Community - View Single Post - Citation 34 - deal or no deal?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
I own an Irwin 34. I will be able to salvage 80% of the interior, and will have to rebuild most of the systems on board. I paid $8000 for it. I enjoy the work so its not a negative to me. Never the less, it was no bargain. If the mast and sails were missing, I wouldn't have accepted it as a gift. Ditto for a non-running motor. I will end up having about $18000 in it and it will be worth $14000 if I'm lucky. Only get this one if your joy doing the repairs in your back yard for years, is equal to being on the water... and money is not your first consideration. A realistic evaluation of your skill set is in order here. If wood is not your friend and DC wiring design is not easy for you, fiberglass makes you itch and mixing epoxy is "icky".... How many motors have you rebuilt personally? I find this stuff rewarding and never run out of delight in fixing these sorts of things. But if your eye is on the water, and you short cut the repairs, this may be more opportunity for trouble than its worth.