SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going to Sea? What watch would you wear?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009
Underwater Basket Weaver

TintedChrome is on a distinguished road
I'm a watch guy too, and while I'll wear whatever I happen to be wearing that day sailing (it is, after all, just a watch, and my philosophy is that if all it's going to do is sit in a watch box and never be worn then it's useless), on an extended cruise where I'd be away from home for a long while I'd only bring two -

my quartz Luminox, simply because it's built like a friggin tank, is extremely accurate, and the luminous dials are mighty convenient at night..

and my "automatik" Sinn 556, because frankly I'm completely in love with it and it's a "dressier" watch to wear when making landfall.. Plus, it looks stunning in person and I love the attention it gets from the women despite its incredibly simple dial

Other than that, other watches that have made it onto a boat are an Omega Seamaster 120, old Gruen military watch, Glycine Airman, Swatch Chrono, and countless cheapies.. I've lost a Fortis Flieger Chrono over the side though (bummer!), so some crab off the coast of Brittany is sporting that one.. and I got so pissed off at the Seiko automatic and it's ridiculous 6-8 hr power reserve and chronic inaccuracy (granted it was a cheapie) that I voluntarily offered that one up to Neptune two years ago off the coast of Maine after it made an escape attempt by snapping one of the spring-bars and falling onto the cockpit sole.

But yeah, all that to say - it's a watch -wear what you like and what you're comfortable wearing for extended periods of time. And don't wear anything you're not prepared to lose or replace.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook