SailNet Community - View Single Post - Current State of Sailboat Racing is Pretty Bad
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I find it interesting that some people who have replied to this thread have never raced and don't want to race. They're the ones who base their opinions on racers from hear say and drive away new blood. Along with the ego crazed skippers.

If you're on a yelling boat, find another boat, they aren't that good if they're yelling. Yelling means they don't practice, don't have their timing down, and their tactician may be an idiot. Racing (and sailing in general) isn't a sport of instant gratification. You don't jump in a formula one racer and expect to do well just b/c you've been driving for years. Same goes with sailing, and racing sailboats.

I find that most cruising skippers fall into 2 groups. The first one is the guy who wants to learn more about sail trim, tactics, and hydrodynamics, but is scared to screw something up on a boat with sails that cost more than a car.

The second is the skipper who likes to sail in his or her own little world and can't handle being critiqued or questioned. His ego is fragile, his boat is grand, and he is the best sailor he knows, just ask him. It's this one that deep down inside doesn't want to race b/c of fear they'll end up at the back of the pack.

There's nothing scarey about racing. Things need to be done quickly, boats get close to one another. But good crews don't yell. Good skippers know how to shut up and drive and leave the trimming to the trimmers. Leave the take downs to the foredeck gods, and leave the tactics to the snactitian.