SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please help a novice sailor choose a boat.
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006

kazmeister is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your responses so far. I found the trailersailor website to be more tailored to what I'm looking for, as compared to yachttrader or boattrader online which I had been looking over up til now.

I'm discovering quickly that as with their powered brethren, sailboats have some components that can add up to some severely costly and or time intensive replacements/repairs. Is there anything specifically that I should definitely walk away from, aside for the obvious such as stress cracks in the hull?

Also, I'm seeing many boats that have race histories, should I be wary of those? How long can a boat be used for racing, generally, before it really starts to take a toll on it's structural integrity? Or should I not be so concerned, as I don't intend on taking the boat out in heavy weather?

One last question (for now) and it's in regards to the choice between tiller or wheel. Is it just a matter of preference, or are there definite advantages/disadvantages to each? I ask because I will be singlehanding most of the time, and if one is simpler to singlehand than the other it would be good to know.

Thanks again!

-James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook