SailNet Community - View Single Post - Feedback on bow rollers please?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Pinning the anchor is a bad idea. First, most rollers don't have the pin in the right spot for the anchor, and if you have to drill a hole in the anchor, you're creating a place for corrosion to get a good hold, since you're exposing bare steel—stainless steel has no place in anchors IMHO. Lashing it is a much better alternative, especially if you have a roll bar anchor like the Rocna or Manson Supreme.

As for the roller, 316 SS is better than 304, since 304 is far more susceptible to crevice corrosion and chloride ion stress cracking. Garhauer marine makes some good ones, and they're usually far more reasonably priced than other makers. A pivoting bow roller that allows the anchor to self-launch is a good idea if you have an electric windlass and can release the tension on the rode from the cockpit, as it makes anchoring single-handed much simpler. If you don't have an electric windlass with controls in the cockpit, the self-launching doesn't make and difference.

Don't curse the Pacific side of Central America, the people there will get offended and may not be very friendly then... :-)

Also, remember that the bow roller isn't really designed to take a lot of strain, and that the rode, especially if it is all chain, should have a snubber or bridle of some sort to put the load on the cleats or mooring bitt, rather than on the bow roller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoChip View Post
Hi,
We are about to purchase two bow rollers for our 36’ Islander Freeport. We have a 45lb CRQ and are planning on purchasing a 44lb Bruce type anchor. I do not know much about bow rollers. I like the Kingston “For CQR plow anchors up to 45 lbs. 3/16" 304 Stainless steel”
Anchor Roller
Also the “3-Wheeled Bruce or Claw anchors up to 44 lbs”
“Designed to self-launch Bruce or Claw anchors up to 44 lbs ”
Anchor Roller
The “Designed to self-launch” feature I am also not sure of. It sounds nice but is it what we would want for cruising. We will be cursing the Pacific side of Central America.
I do not expect to be able to have two anchors on rollers at the same time because of room. We do not have a bowsprrint.
Also what about the pins to hold the anchor in place when under sail in seas?
Seems good to me but does it work? Do they rattler arround etc?
Thank you,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook