SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tohastsu - 8hp 4cycle - tech questions
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009

Michael K is on a distinguished road
While my situation involves a 2000 9.9 Yamaha I have been suffering the same symptoms. Taking the carb off and apart is almost an effortless exercise now that I've done it so many times. I've actually gotten to the point where I have a second carb that I swap with the original; this gives me a functional outboard at almost all times -- pretty important as it serves as my sailboat's auxillary.

Because my outboard is older, I've reached the point where the rubber choke diaphram has begun to deteriorate and gas can leak out from the carb. This has actually happened with both carbs. I have found that coating the diaphram with gas-resistant glue remedies the problem. I am using "Seal All" adhesive available from Ace Hardware.

In addition to using Seafoam and running the carb dry after each use, recently I've been spraying a bit of Gumout Carb Cleaner into the air intake before the engine dies. I cannot say if this practice is detrimental over the long term but it does seem to ensure easier starting after sitting for a week or more. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook