SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crewing up for Norway-Tenerife 2010
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009

alooseleaf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to alooseleaf
Sailing away!

Hello!

My name is Alyssa. I am a 21 year old American student, gearing up to graduate in May 2010 with a BA in Sociology and Anthropology. I fell in love with sailing when I was 10 years old. We had little 10 foot boats at my summer camp, and every chance I got I was out sailing one. This summer I worked as a nanny in Turkey and spent some time with the family on a 37’ Sun Odyssey on the Aegean Sea. This semester at school I took a sailing course where I sailed a 14’ Catalina Capri.

Though I do not have a sailing certification, I do have an irresistible passion for the wind and sea. I am familiar with the intuitive motions of sailing, much of the vocabulary and I am a quick and efficient learner. I hope to have a boat of my own within the next five years, but for now I am looking for the chance to sail and see the world with some more seasoned seafarers.

I am a certified lifeguard (though I think my certification is up this June...) I speak French. I took one semester of Spanish and find that I understand more than I can speak, but also have a propensity for picking languages up quickly (as I saw when I spent time in Turkey and Viet Nam.)
I have a lot of travel experience and have no problem being in a confined space with a group of people for extended periods of time. Countries I have visited include: Italy, France, England, Belgium, Sweden, Germany, Cambodia, New Zealand and Canada. I studied for half a year in Vietnam and worked in Turkey for three months.

I am responsible, reliable and have been bit by the bug for adventure! I work hard, but know when to relax and let loose. I am an excellent cook (and have experience cooking in the small quarters a sailboat has to offer! Not to mention being a college student I have learned how to spice up and make exciting most things that would seem repetitive after a long while…this seems like an important skill when on the water without refrigeration or fresh produce!) I read a lot of books, write poetry, dabble with various musical instruments. Ingenuity, innovation and imagination are strong points. I only need to be told directions once but never hesitate to ask clarifying questions in order to make sure a job gets done right the first time. My sleep habits can fluxuate as needed – which I know is important on long passages when someone is up and on watch at all times.

I love to meet and spend time with people of all ages, work in unfamiliar situations and learn new skills.

I hope you will consider me for your upcoming trips. I am interested in both legs (Norway to Spain and then across the Atlantic). Please reply to conley.ab@gmail.com if you have any questions or would like to know more about me!

Thank you!

Alyssa Conley

Last edited by alooseleaf; 11-25-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook