SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crewing up for Norway-Tenerife 2010
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 11-24-2009
Send a message via Skype™ to alooseleaf
Sailing away!

My name is Alyssa. I am a 21 year old American student, gearing up to graduate in May 2010 with a BA in Sociology and Anthropology. I fell in love with sailing when I was 10 years old. We had little 10 foot boats at my summer camp, and every chance I got I was out sailing one. This summer I worked as a nanny in Turkey and spent some time with the family on a 37’ Sun Odyssey on the Aegean Sea. This semester at school I took a sailing course where I sailed a 14’ Catalina Capri.

Though I do not have a sailing certification, I do have an irresistible passion for the wind and sea. I am familiar with the intuitive motions of sailing, much of the vocabulary and I am a quick and efficient learner. I hope to have a boat of my own within the next five years, but for now I am looking for the chance to sail and see the world with some more seasoned seafarers.

I am a certified lifeguard (though I think my certification is up this June...) I speak French. I took one semester of Spanish and find that I understand more than I can speak, but also have a propensity for picking languages up quickly (as I saw when I spent time in Turkey and Viet Nam.)
I have a lot of travel experience and have no problem being in a confined space with a group of people for extended periods of time. Countries I have visited include: Italy, France, England, Belgium, Sweden, Germany, Cambodia, New Zealand and Canada. I studied for half a year in Vietnam and worked in Turkey for three months.

I am responsible, reliable and have been bit by the bug for adventure! I work hard, but know when to relax and let loose. I am an excellent cook (and have experience cooking in the small quarters a sailboat has to offer! Not to mention being a college student I have learned how to spice up and make exciting most things that would seem repetitive after a long while…this seems like an important skill when on the water without refrigeration or fresh produce!) I read a lot of books, write poetry, dabble with various musical instruments. Ingenuity, innovation and imagination are strong points. I only need to be told directions once but never hesitate to ask clarifying questions in order to make sure a job gets done right the first time. My sleep habits can fluxuate as needed – which I know is important on long passages when someone is up and on watch at all times.

I love to meet and spend time with people of all ages, work in unfamiliar situations and learn new skills.

I hope you will consider me for your upcoming trips. I am interested in both legs (Norway to Spain and then across the Atlantic). Please reply to if you have any questions or would like to know more about me!

Thank you!

Alyssa Conley

Last edited by alooseleaf; 11-25-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome