SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone done this trip
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
It would seem to me that you have not gotten any direct reply but never fear. If the wind is from the north or the north east the gulf stream is a nasty place to be in a small boat. Big steep seas due to the stream flowing north and the wind blowing south you see what I mean. Ok now from Tampa well I would go to the Ft Myers area and cross the state by way of the Colousahatchee sorry that is most likely spelled wrong. The river croses the state and takes you through the state and the Loke Okechobee again spelled some thing like that. Then you can go fooshore south by ocean or the ICW. On the river you can stay at Labelle just west of the bridge the city did have a free dock if no one is in it. also you can get fuel along the way at several marinas on the river. This is a fun trip river is a straight shot and deep. Remember you are crossing the gulf stream and it can be moving at several knots so you sail in an arch as you cross so starting out in north Largo is good south Biscayne fair Miami or Ft Lauderdale you could miss the Bahamas.Leave real early like 4:00AM so you have allot of daylight if you had any problem and the seas are calmer in the morning usually. Check all weather data close for fronts not many squals this time of year.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook