SailNet Community - View Single Post - Disposal of Flares
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, were these SOLAS or USCG approved flares. The SOLAS ones are required, by specification, not to drop slag, the USCG ones do not have that requirement AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roline View Post
I tried to light a 15 yr old flare and the ignition button broke off of the end. Tried another old one , the same... Used a torch to get them started and found that they dripped a hot white molten liquid that solidified when it hit the driveway.
Also tried an old 12 gage, old 25 gage and new extended 12 gage red flares. I believed that the 25 gage would be the best by far... Results were surprising. The older 12 and 25 gage only stayed aloft about 3 seconds, not much height . Yes the 25 gage was brighter. The new 12 gage extended flare was twice the height at least and was as bright as the 25 gage flare...I was surprised by this.
Being in the USA, I'll keep the old flares on board but also realize that they may be less than desirable and may not even work. I will keep fresh flares on board to count on should I ever need assistance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook