SailNet Community - View Single Post - To cover or not to cover
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
I expect it gets pretty snowy where you are.
I like Caleb's idea of making another tent over the spinnaker pole. I'll probably do that as well, and point the bow into the prevailing winter winds to keep as much rain and snow as possible off the deck.
Thanks Adam.
Where inthesprings/Shawn is located is surrounded by sea water that rarely gets below the salt water freezing point so the climate can actually be somewhat moderated by the ocean and much milder then inland areas of NY State. That does not mean that East Hampton, NY wont get a deep freeze at some point this winter. I have seen the salt water harbors on Long Island freeze over after a week or two of 20 degree weather at least twice in my nearly 50 years of monitoring it.
What we are all trying to minimize is the repeated freeze/thaw cycles that can occur if any standing water remains on the decks. Those of us with older boats like mine are also worried about water intrusion into any of the cored decks and chain plates so the set of the hull in it's cradle or jack stands is more important then most yards seem to care about.
Once your boat is secure on the hard it is not a bad idea to pour some fresh water out on the decks to see if the deck drains will remove most or all of the water. Areas of standing water are not good where freezing temps can be expected.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook