SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pearson 10M: selling question

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  JimHawkins 
#1 ·
My boat is in great condition (lots of money poured in the hole). I am looking for a new boat.
I am interested opinions on selling her via "for sale by owner sites" vs through a broker. If someone wants this boat, a web search would bring her up though not before Yachtworld. Looking on making it official Jan 1. Thoughts?
Thanks-

#2 ·
IMHO, this particular economy puts the seller at an extreme disadvantage because of the large suply of boats for sale vs a dwindling (at best) demand. It probobly won't sell very qiukly either way, so placing it with a broker is more of a matter of convenience. If you are asking a modest to reasonable price, and are willing to do the grunt work, you should be able to sell it in a reasonable time frame on your own, and keep those ten points the broker is after. In the end what matters here is how much you value your time. Come up with a reasonable hourly rate for what you feel your time is worth, multiply that by the number of hours you would need to invest in advertising on various websites, ect. Then compare that number to what the brokers cut would be at your rock bottom price. This should give you a fairly good idea of what the most viable course of action would be. Hope I was able to help.

#3 ·
I put my J24 on the class web sight and have gotten a lot of traffic for November and two visits :)

The big issue so far is i listed it to LOW in price even IF its the correct and fair price

Everybody seems to have the mind set that they need to offer BELOW the asking price so keep this in mind :)

#5 ·
Most boats of this size sell thru a broker.

Most buyers will search yacthworld for their next boat, and never think to use Google...getting a one-time web page to even show in Google will be a tech challenge.

If you want to sell the baot, list it with a broker. Otherwise your odds will be even longer against you.

#6 ·
If you have the knowledge to put up a website, you may want to take that route. Buy a good domain too, like pearson10mforsale.com or similar, that will go a long way towards getting your site showing up at the top of Google results. Even if you end up paying someone a few hundred to get your one-page website setup, it could be well worth it. There's also plenty of free/cheap ways to do this on your own.

I think there's plenty of people out there these days that do a bit of searching for private sales to avoid dealing with brokers (being the worthless scum that they are).

We recently found our boat via regular daily Google searches, a very well looked after Pearson 365 called Dosia. She's perfect for our needs.

#7 ·
I suggest you at least post your own page about the boat, whether you use a broker or not. Lots of brokers don't seem to even return phone calls, which makes me think they are happier collecting dock fees than selling boats.

I think you can post something here too, and probably at Anything-Sailing too. Anyone familiar with Sailnet rules?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.