SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Island Packet?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I think we tend to expect boats to do everything well, and we forget that all boats are compromises. A boat doesn’t have to do everything well. It only has to serve the owner’s purposes well. The IP is designed and built with compromises that are aimed in the direction of a specific purpose, i.e., making long, open water passages. Other boats are designed and built with compromises aimed toward racing and coastal cruising. Within each of those three categories, even more compromises can be made in the design and construction of boats, so that some passagemakers will be lighter, faster, more weatherly, etc., and others will be heavier and slower, but stronger.

For some of us, a faster, livelier boat might be too physically challenging for us to handle over the long haul, and for others, a slower, heavier boat would drive us nuts, but we don't have to be satisfied with the boat. Only the owner does. A lot of experienced long-distance sailors stand foursquare behind their IPs, and the bottom line is that conchcruzer’s boat took him safely and comfortably to Venezuela. Once the boat got into the tradewinds, it probably had enough wind to keep it moving nicely, and that’s where the boat is at its best. Conchcruzer isn’t recommending the boat as an ideal Chesapeake Bay cruiser, but it appears to me that it has served his needs well and met his expectations.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 02-23-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook