SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Built Boats?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006

canopus22 is on a distinguished road
Best Boat Built

I used to live in Costa Mesa, CA and often stopped by Where the 27' Bristol Channel Cutters were being built and for my money it's one of the strongest built ships out there. Some interiors were finished by the owners but most are completed in house. There was/is no stinting on quality, all perifials were top quality. Many are to found all over the world and the very few that come up for resale are few and far between and expensive as compared to similar sized boats. Years before my move to CA, I lived on the Niagara Frontier and had the good fortune to meet the late George Hinterhoeller who built many fine boats including the Niagara, C&C, and the Nonsuch. He was a fanatic on quality and fit. After have puchased a HR 25 from him, I asked him how strong the boat was. His answer:" I'ts as strong as your ability to sail her, handle it properly and she'll survive anything." His words were prophetic, the next year I got caught in a horrific storm on Lake Ontario. I didn't believe I would get through it, but I did what I had to do and The HR 25 didn't fail me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook