SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Anchor
Thread: New Anchor
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
New Anchor

Ok - not to dredge up another Rocna vs Manson Supreme debate...but I need to. I noticed my searches for older threads on the topic reference the pricing being very high on Rocnas due to the lack of distributorship. Well, I think this is less relevant since both are now carried at our local Worst Marine...which is having some pretty good sales of late. I'm able to get 25% off retail price plus I have a ton of those reward certs to use up or I lose 'em.

Anyway, from the dealership, my boat came with a Lewmar Claw which works...but looks and feels undersized for long range duty.

I have a Beneteau 343 which seems to fall between sizing recommendations for these anchors. For this boat, which is ~12,000 lbs displacement on specs...which would be the more appropriate anchor:

1) Mancon Supreme 35 (35 lb)...about $400 shipped
2) Rocna 15 (15kg/33lb)...about $420 shipped
3) Larger, sized up version of either of those anchors???

Where my calculations are failing me is in the area of how to factor the additional weight of coastal and eventually long term cruising will place on my boat. As it stands, I still have about 3 inches of bottom paint showing at my waterline. But I'm sure that will change as I finish fitting out my boat with the arch, EU2000 generator, radar, windgen, etc, etc, etc (as smoke rises from my check book).

Last edited by night0wl; 11-27-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook