SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 29
Thread: Islander 29
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Islander 29 Data

You can find some basic info here on sailboatdata.com. I am not surprised you can't find much - the 29 was only made in '68 and '69. Atom Voyages did a paragraph on the 29 that said this:
Quote:
Islander 29 - LOA: 29' LWL: about 23' Beam: 8'11"' Draft: 3'8" Displacement: 7,800 - 8,100 lbs. ? Ballast: 2,500 lbs.? lead. Total sail area: 392 sq. ft. General Comments: Built by Wayfarer Yachts of Costa Mesa, CA. beginning in 1969. Also called the Wayfarer 29. Minuses: Low companionway entrance looks vulnerable to flooding, but can be modified. Atomic 4 gas inboard was standard. Not many produced. More info: ISLANDER 29 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
It is probably worth mentioning that if you use hatch boards, you should think about leaving the bottom board in place if there a chance you may get pooped. You may want to take a look at this fellow's blog - he sails an I-29 named S/V Zen out of San Francisco.

Also, there's not a lot available on the Internet about the history of Islander Yachts in general. Mostly, what there is, is confusing because of company splits and shared models. On the other hand, looking your boat ups as a Wayfarer may get you a little farther along. This page at sailboatdata.com is the most I have found so far.

I also want to mention that this page lists two different rig dimensions for the I-29 .... don't know what that's all about, but you will need to sort it out if you want to order sails. Mostly, it closely agrees with the dimensions quoted in sailboatdata.com.

Good luck with your new boat! I have derived great enjoyment from my Islander and hope you do the same.

Regards,

DaCAP
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 08-02-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Missed adding a reference to another I-29
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook