SailNet Community - View Single Post - The bay is empty
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
Every marina that I have stopped in the past two weeks I have asked this question. From Chesapeake City to the West River. Why are all the boats all wrapped up in this white cocoon? Or on the hard? I guess having spent most of my boating life in the pacific NW and Alaska the idea of taking a boat out of the water for the winter just seems sort of weird. I first saw this when I was in Dillingham AK in the spring. All the fishing boats where on the hard. I asked the skipper why did everyone put their boats on the hard? He looked at me as if I were crazy. I later looked at some pictures of the whole Bristol Bay frozen over with huge ice everywhere. So in lue of the bay being totally frozen over why do so many people pull out? I plain on sailing all winter I hope. I did see a picture the other day at a beer/wine store Home Port in galesville on the west river with some cars parked on the west river after it had frozen over. But that picture was in 1920s . I leave my outboard running for an extra 5 min. every time I boat just to warm things up a bit!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook