SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3-blade fixed prop recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
3-blade fixed prop recommendations?

I'm looking for a 3-blade fixed prop; probably want a sailboat prop but I also need something that will deliver good thrust. The sailboat props seem to have reduced blade width to minimize drag. At times we need to motor against current here on SF Bay and my current prop is just too small for my needs. The prop is a 12" x 14" on a 40hp diesel engine. I did some checking on the prop sizing tables and it looks like it is correct for the 3500 max RPM the engine will deliver; but at normal cruising RPM's of 2500 I don't get up to hull speed (7.5 kts) and I get lots of vibration above 2600 because I suspect the prop is a bit over-pitched and under-bladed which results in cavitation. My ratio is 1.5:1 (I think) which gives shaft speeds about 1/3 lower than engine RPM.

So I was wondering what others have found good results with? I am looking at the Campbell Sailer and the Michigan Wheel Sailer props; are there any others I should be looking at? How do these two compare?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook