SailNet Community - View Single Post - Womyn are never called Captain
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Great and funny discussions here.. While the intent of this is to show how far society has accepted us females as capt of our own vessels, with some tongue and cheek sayings, I think it really depends on the vessel if a male is present vs only a female(s).
My own personal experience in both as a Captain in commercial aviation and Marine are the same. As long as male is present most people think the male counterpart is the master of the vessels. This leads to speaking, asking questions, inquires and general assumptions of who is in charge of said vessel/aircraft to the male present. Even with 4 strips on my shoulders, Captains hat on, passengers, agents, mechanics at times think I am a flight attendant at worse and the co pilot at best until things happen to make it apparent that I am in charge. It is fun to watch peoples faces who thought I was one of the above, to the Captain in charge. I find in the marine environment about the same if I happen to have a male on my boat. If I am sailing solo (97%) of the time, I find most folks don't have a problem calling me Capt or mam.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook