SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 30 Keel cracks (not Catalina Smile)
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009

Pelham is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 Keel cracks (not Catalina Smile)

Hi all,

I have a 1983 Catalina 30 that has a crack at the AFT end of the keel, several inches below where I believe the keel stub attaches to the keel itself (photos attached). The crack appears on both sides of the keel at the same height.

I first saw the crack last spring when the boat was out of the water. We had it inspected, but the verdict was that it wasn't a structural crack. So, we just painted over it and put the boat in the water.

We just hauled the boat for the winter, and it looks to me like the crack may have continued to propagate. I'm going to have it looked at again, but given the shrug off from the yard last time, I'm looking for other opinions.

I don't believe this is the Catalina Smile since it seems lower down in the keel than where the keel would connect to the keel stub (I think), and from my reading, the Catalina Smile usually occurs at the forward end of the keel.

Has anyone seen this before in a C-30? Do you know what the keel construction is, and how to fix a crack like this?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Pelham
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook