SailNet Community - View Single Post - What You Have Learned After Becoming a Liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009

closehauled14 is on a distinguished road
1: I have lived aboard for a period of about two years. One thing that I found extremely helpful is to find a good anchorage to live in. With the help of a good wind/solar system, and some self control when it comes to the electric you wind up saving all of your dockage. For me it was about $500.00/mo. That money comes in handy for all of the little projects that WILL come up.
2: You live on a boat. Let that soak in for a minute. Now, if you are cold, move toward the equator. If you are hot move away from said imaginary line. Repeat as necisary. Make friends that do the same. Around these parts you're called a snowbird. In November, you head to the caribian. Then in may you go back to the carolinas (cheap dockage and cost of living).
3: Don't buy a fridge. Keep the ice box, use block ice, and use that money to buy a small chest-style freezer to keep meats, vegitables ect.
4: 28ft is plenty of boat for a single person or a couple as long as you stay in a place with good weather. Your cockpit is like an extra living area.
5: Keep all of your tools organized, labeled, and stowed when not in use.
6: if you are maried or have a spouse of some sort, you do not need a tv. There is plenty to do/talk about on a boat. Have a few cocktails and enjoy your suroundings and each other. If you reqire ambient noise, an fm radio comes in handy.
7: learn to fish, and buy a crab trap. There is nothing better than fresh fish/shelfish, and other than the initial purchase of tackle/equipt it's FREE. You can get bait for the crab pot at a local fish market any time. Just tip the worker a couple bucks and you will have access to all the fish heads you would ever want.
8: boom tent/bimini is a necesity.
9: if you don't fall on love with it, go back to the hill, my anchorage is a bit crowded anyhow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook