SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catamaran for beach: Hobie Wave/Getaway or something else?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009

themicah is on a distinguished road
Catamaran for beach: Hobie Wave/Getaway or something else?

Some family members are building a home on the beach in Florida (Gulf side) and they'd like to get a beach cat to keep there for the occasional jaunt into the Gulf. They are beginners and probably won't sail it much themselves, but want to have it for visitors, most of whom (like me) will probably be intermediate-at-best sailors.

After some initial poking around (this thread was particularly helpful), the Hobie Wave seems like the leading contender.

It's simple, light, and has those tough rotomolded hulls. I like the idea of the Getaway to take out multiple people at once (something tough to do with the Wave), but given that there will likely be times when only one adult is sailing, I'm concerned that at 400lbs the Getaway may be too heavy to haul to the beach and too hard to right after capsizing.

Are there other viable options for a boat that will likely spend most of its time sitting in the dune grass on the beach? I've thought about looking for a used Hobie 16, but I think it's worth paying a bit more for the Wave/Getaway's more-durable hulls and anti-turtling mast bobs (although a dolly and an aftermarket anti-turtle bob might make a used 16 a viable option). Are there other beach cat manufacturers out there, or is Hobie pretty much it? Anything else to consider?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook