SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chart Reading OR Sailors on the Delaware / Chesapeake
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by genieskip View Post
And don't forget that the most dangerous thing aboard a sailboat is a schedule. I also have a great time planning trips but I have learned through experience that If I try to adhere to my schedule no matter what the weather has to say I will regret the decision. Build into your schedule a day or two to stay where you are when the wind is howling and the rain coming in sheets, with lowered visibility etc.
Hello genieskip;

The plan is open ended with each day covering a range of 35 to 60 NM. If the day is going well I can cover more distance if I feel able. The only thing set in stone is the 3 day trip up the New Jersey coast. I have been researching and found that I need to take it slow and steady with no night sailing. The plan is three hops, the first from Cape May to Atlantic City, the second from Atlantic City to the Manasquin Inlet and the third from the Manasquin Inlet to the Hudson river. There seem to be a lot of inlets on the coast but everything I have read suggests that there are far to many hazards to attempt most of them. The research I have points to three safe navigable points on the coast and since I have no interest in sailing at night my route is pretty much set for me. I have 9 days to make the 3 day trip so I have time in case of poor weather.

I plan on making the passage between the third week of May and the first week of June. Weather should be pretty good that time of year.

Thanks for the feedback;

Robert

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook