SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catamaran for beach: Hobie Wave/Getaway or something else?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I owned both H16's and an H18 before buying my lead sled. I also did demo sails and new owner training for the Getaway. Go for the H16. You can have3 adults (thogh very crowded) on it, it sails fast, there are thousands of used ones waiting for some one to buy them, and they can take a beating. I like the fiberglass hulls better because you can repair any damage that may happen and they do not flex as much as the rotomolded hulls. Hobie crosslinks the plastic in the hull mold for the Getaway. This means that you will not be able to heat or chemically weld any more material to the hulls. So, if you have a big gouge in the hull, you will not be able to repair it. Getaways are heavy for thier size compared to the H16 or the H18. With the H16 if it is windy enough to capsize it is windy enough to right the boat solo. On a dolly the H16 is very easy to move up and down the beach. The H18 is tough to pull up a beach on a dolly. I am a sizeable guy at 6'2" and 260lbs and I had trouble over long distances.

In summary I say the H16 because it is affordable, fun, easy to sail single handed or with two others on board, and they are solid boats.
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook