SailNet Community - View Single Post - MOB Video
Thread: MOB Video
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009

meuritt is on a distinguished road
Interesting link, it is amazing how quickly it happened.

MOB concerns me, I sail in SF Bay and the cold waters don't give a person in the water much time, as a kayaker, wearing the immersion gear, we probably have about 45 minutes, but we are rather psyched for emmersion anyway, being inches off the water. The club regularly hold rescue practices so we know what to do when we do find ourselves under the boat. I think a person going in from a sailboat deck as the video shows would have it worse. Probably chilled to start with and totally unexpected because of the ever present attitude of it can't happen to me, the shock of hitting the cold water, which can cause the gasp reflex, and you can be toast instantly. Google cold water boot camp for details.

That said, I have a motor sailor with a deep cockpit with high steel railings for controlling running lines, but still need to go forward for reef or jib changes. Most of the time we never need to leave the enclosed pilothouse.

I've seen a video of a female getting a male MOB aboard using life sling. I was surprised at how slow it appeared to be and how long it took her. With our high free board, it is going to be even harder for us.

We have plans to test all this life sling and related gear at the mooring buoy, then go out and practice, maybe even with a wetsuited live volunteer, and kayak safety nearby. This video gives that plan a bit of urgency... Even though it can't happen to us.

Mike
San Rafael, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook