SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shopping in winter in NY
View Single Post
  #1  
Old 12-01-2009
kmartin16 kmartin16 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
kmartin16 is on a distinguished road
Shopping in winter in NY

I have looked at numerous boats since September and tried to learn as much as I can. This web site is fantastically helpful. I was hoping for some feedback to the following general observations.

Winter seems like a good time to buy. I am in upstate NY and am willing to go as far as Boston/Long IslandErie/Toronto but it would cost me roughly 2k to haul and ship to my location from those distances. So I have focused on local boats so far.

Up here in the tundra you can't start the engines, masts are down, and people have stuffed the gear into the interiors so it takes a little imagination. I have presumed that sellers that are still in the market will discount for these issues but we shall see. I can also tell you I have felt funny climbing around on some of these things that weigh 5-6 tons and are balanced on jack stands.

I am graduating from dinghy sailing and plan on doing daysailing, beer can racing, and overnights on Lake Ontario (about an hour and 15 away from me) and/or Oneida Lake (25 minutes away). Hopefully my kids (4) will get the bug as they enjoy chartering. Older 28' to 36' sloops with shoal draft have been on my radar screen (I am 6'4" so anything smaller seems uncomfortable).

Prices seem to be very soft and I am having a heck of a time deciding on which direction to take. The quality/price ratio on each boat is taking awhile for me to figure out since I don't know a lot about doing projects and their costs. I know those extras like dodgers, furling, self tailing winches, etc, can add up. My original plan was to go cheap and smaller to start out and learn with relatively minimal investment. Plus, I would try and work on the systems myself and if necessary get help and look at it as an educational investment. The more I look and think about my time, the more I think the time is right to go larger, more expensive but better condition/updated. Having real trouble deciding and of course I will have to weigh the factors for myself. Any thoughts, experiences or tips would be appreciated. I will probably get a survey depending on the boat, but I looked at one last week that I could get for 3k or so and the engine is worth more than that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook