SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3-blade fixed prop recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
How Well does the Campbell Sailor Back Down?

Maine Sail,

Your recommendation has started me thinking about the prop on Tranquility Base. How well does the Campbell Sailor on your boat back down? That's the single gripe I have with my current prop. I get maybe 10% of the acceleration in reverse that I get in forward when I increase engine speed, probably less. It makes backing into the slip on a windy day interesting.

For what it is worth, Tranquility Base has a 2 blade, fixed 13 X 10 right hand prop powered by a Yanmar 2GMF. I don't know who manufactured it, but the blade cross section is close to uniform thickness with a little curve to it. The blade width to length ratio looks very similar to the CS blades in your picture. I don't see much vibration, even at WOT. I can get to max RPM at WOT, and I ran around for 1/2 hour at WOT w/o overheating when I tested the engine last Spring. This prop drives the boat at hull speed around 2800-2900 RPM (depending on how clean the bottom is) so the pitch is good. But it won't back down worth beans. I think I could accelerate the boat faster by poling than this setup does in reverse!
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook