SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shopping in winter in NY
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
tommays
You're not very subtle, but you're right. Any older boat is a bit of a project boat, whether it be engine, glasswork, wiring or something else. On the better looking 30+ year old boats the problems haven't come up yet, but they will unless the equipment has been upgraded recently. 30 years on the water is hard on everything. As far as not having skills, glasswork probably requires more skill, although easily learned, than engine work. I'm not a mechanic but I will try most anything and if I end up over my head, I go to an expert. But I take the waterpump off the engine, change alternators, or rewire the entire engine and starting system as I have done. as I hate to pay labor for what I can do myself. While I've never swapped an engine it's mostly work you can learn if you are careful. Fixing an old boat if you're handy and can read and search the internet is more about commitment than skill. There is a phenominal amount of good help today only a click away. I never did learn to weld though so have to pay for that. Good luck kmartin and remember the resources are available to help you do most anything.

Last edited by mitiempo; 12-03-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook