SailNet Community - View Single Post - furling line blocks or bullseyes
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
Busted knees resulted in the purchase of a furler for the headsail on my Ranger 26. Travesty.
Just wondering what folks recommend as far as the furling line blocks. The furler uses 6 mm line. At first look the sheafer clear-deck blocks or the newer dual-roller harken jobbies look pretty good as far a getting the line outside the stantions. But it almost seems that bullseye leads would also be pretty good and may be a cleaner look.
Being new to furling, does the furling line require blocks on all stantions, or just the outermost one? I used to rig a downhaul on the jib and lead a line through various tiny blocks and line loops and didn't notice any huge friction issues. The boat has slotted toerails if that provides any other options.
Not looking for cheap, just clean.
Thanks.
The simple bullseyes are intended to lead the line inside the stanchions, and even then will introduce a fair bit of friction into the system. Your boat is at the tricky borderline size -- but if you can spare the change I would spring for the Harken OSLBAs (Outboard Stanchion Lead Block Assemblies).

I recently installed OSLBAs on our boat and have been very happy with them. Ideally, you'd put them on each stanchion. Here's a thread that might be worth perusing:

Harken OSLBAs

P.S. Sorry about your knees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook