SailNet Community - View Single Post - furling line blocks or bullseyes
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009

Gene T is on a distinguished road
My old boat had the line running on the inside of the stanchions and they did not get in the way, but I always thought about upgrading them to an outside system. My new boat has bull-eyes on the deck as it gets routed up and over the cabin and through a clutch. This setup has a lot of friction and I plan on moving it to the stanchions using Garhauer's blocks. It is not top on my priority list however.

One thing to remember is you need to create some tension on the line as you let it the sail out or you can get a mess in the furling drum, so a high friction system actually helps in this respect.

I can take some effort if you are reefing the sail. I had a spare cockpit winch on my last boat that I could just wrap the line around and this made the job easy. I have also sailed on boat that you needed to winch the line in when reefing just because of all the friction in the system. The larger the boat and sail the more difficult it can be. You shouldn't have a problem on your boat though.

Furlers are great. Enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook