SailNet Community - View Single Post - What You Have Learned After Becoming a Liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009

sailorgirl60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadranger View Post
[URL="http://www.sailnet.com/forums/members/captainforce.html"]Captain. Any "dirty laundry" advice would go a long way with us.

Thanks for your responses.

Roadranger
Rick
Captain- I am a liveaboard and understand your woman's concern. This is my second year on board. I've found that getting off the boat in a marina that has laundries facilities has become a social outlet rather than a chore. I enjoy the seclusion of my boat emensely but look forward to chatting with someone other than my captain on occasion! It might be a good, safe place to let the children run a bit after weeks at sea.
I srongly suggest you and your wife read "The Essentials of Living Aboard A Boat" by Mark Nichoals. It's a no frills look at what it like and gives plenty of practical advice.
When it comes to safety, I can't recommend strongly enough to include a satellite phone. I have a 26 yr old daughter who works in the yachting business, she was in the South Pacific when the tsunami hit American Samoa. That satellite phone was her only connection to home and it took twelve hours to get the call through to me. Make sure you can reach your land people, not only our rescue services. You're taking your children, I'm sure someone has told you how crazy you are. Give them a satellite number for extreme emergencies, you'll all feel better.
Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! You are a lucky family!

What type of boat are you looking for???

Drop me en e-mail I'd love to hear your story from the beginning! Seagoing woman are somewhat rare tell your wife to consider me a friend! bn.sailorgirl@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook