SailNet Community - View Single Post - How should I tow a dinghy?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009

FastSailR is on a distinguished road
I have an Avon inflatable. coastwise I do not remove the well secured 4 hp outboard. On s/v "Fianna", my Pretorien, with a slight reverse transom, I use two independent nylon towing lines which go through port and starboard stern chocks to cleats. Each is tied independently to my nylon towing bridle, which is led through the midships handle on the bow of the dinghy and then to the port and starboard towing rings forward, near the dinghy's waterline. This is a belt and suspenders towing rig with two independent componets, but has the downside of needing to manage two lines at the stern of the yacht instead of one. This year I intend to install an outboard lift (Garhauer, removeable) and mount the outboard on the tern pulpit when not in use. In general the whole dinghy issue for me has become a bit of a muddle. Frankly, for my purposes, I could get along nicely with a hard dinghy that rows well.. I have looked at peapods and considered shorter hard dinghys. I do not have the ability to store on deck due to the interference with my baby stay. But I am increasingly distressed by the profound ugliness of inflatables and by running an outboard for all of 5 minutes to get ashore in most situations. I'd love ton know what others think about the hard dinghy versus soft dinghy choice, and how a 35' yacht with no deck storage might finesse these choices.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook