SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2 skippers and 1 boat?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
2 skippers and 1 boat?

Leason learned! So on 12/03/09 Lapworth and I were done with work for the day before 12 noon so we decided to go for a quick fishing trip. Well we got to the boat after getting some grub and some supplies “beer” and headed out before 1 pm. We noticed that the wind was blowing pretty steady from the NE and lapworth got all excited because he loves to fish while under sail. I was thinking man today is going to be a good day for a sail. So we left out of the Rhode River and made our way to the West River in good time with the main and jib up. As we rounded the corner heading into the west river lapworth lowered the main sail and kept us going good with just the jib. I was all smiles due to the fact that there were only 2 boats in sight and with a good wind we had the bay to ourselves. We make our way out into the bay while the wind was increasing a bit. I am new to the bay waters and well I was surprised at the short choppy swells we were getting. Felt like we were in a bathtub with all the spray and chop. We were sailing and at this point I didn’t see a single sailboat in sight. Man what a good day! On the way in Lapworth and I had a few words with each other as to the right and wrongs of sailing on the wrong side of buoys and well just let me say that while you are on someone’s boat you should always shut up and give a yelp only if life or boat is in danger. I have to say that two skippers on one boat is 1 to many. I learned something about sailing that day and the wind had nothing to do with it. Thanks for the beers lapworth and man the chesapeke bay is awesome but friends are better
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook