SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2 skippers and 1 boat?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
2 skippers on 1 boat can be a dicey situation. If I am on another persons boat I happily let them take charge and allow them to make all the decisions (and sometimes mistakes - in my mind). As long as I am not in danger of bodily harm or worse I don't need to voice my concerns.
On my own boat it is different; there are 2 owner/skippers. Fortunately my boat partner is an old friend and helps cover the annual costs. It has worked out largely amicably after 7 years of joint ownership. It was a bit difficult at first to reconcile that we both have different areas of strengths and weaknesses and to let go of the idea that things had to go the way I wanted them in all cases. Our differences only make us stronger; he is good with marine wiring, tinkering with rigging and I am not afraid of bottom paint, our engine or epoxy, for instance. What one hand does not clean up the other usually does. Alone, we would each have to do everything by ourselves. We keep getting better at complimenting each other on the maintenance chores; this fall we pulled a tarp over our boat and had it tied up in 1 afternoon. The fine art of compromise.
On the water it is a bit different but still compromise and communication have proved that it can be done. We mostly race on Weds. nights so it is not such a big deal as our boat is not a racer but a cruiser. I find that our teamwork and reliance on one another make doing the races more fun even if my partner is more competitive about the races then I am. I just like to be sailing in the company of the other boats.
All that said, when on OPB (other peoples boats) I am not the skipper unless the entire crew is asleep.
The Chessy down there is so thin watered that I would be happy to have someone else tell me which side of the buoy to be on to make the channel.
Have you been to Harness Creek yet? (first dog leg on the right as you go in, a narrow channel and hurricane hole, surrounded by woods in a park - no houses)

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook