SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can't find the Life Jacket I want
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Here's a YMCA near you: ymca loc: Manassas, VA - Google Maps

Learn to swim!
Florida Maritime Accident Lawyer - How Long can you Tread Water? About 30 minutes is the max

While knowing how to swim may buy someone some time, and certainly can't hurt, it is not even a close substitute for a life vest.

Without a life jacket even the best of swimmers will be exhausted in minutes.

If someone does not wear a life jacket that's their choice of course.
But if they try to tell me that the "REASON" is that they know how to swim I immediately knee them in the groin, to simulate hitting a life line, then through them overboard. As they suck in saltwater I calmly ask them to demonstrate their vaunted swimming skills unless they would rather grab the dock line I through their way.

A nice dip at anchorage on a sunny day fine but to unexpectedly find oneself in the water even in good conditions is something entirely different.

COAST GUARD AUXILIARY CONCERNED OVER RISE IN BOATING FATALITIES
Leading Cause: 90% of drowning fatalities in 2006 - victims were not wearing a life jacket

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The Coast Guard Auxiliary is once again expressing great concern at the increase in the number of boating fatalities and injuries, and plans to step up its efforts to remind boaters that "You're In Command - Boat responsibly."

Published reports by U.S. Coast Guard Office of Auxiliary and Boating Safety, show that for the second consecutive year; the number of boating fatalities increased (710 deaths in 2006 vs. 697 in 2005) as did the number of injuries (3,474 injuries in 2006 vs. 3,451 in 2005). The reports also show some other consistent and disturbing facts; two-thirds of all fatal boating accident victims drowned. Of those, 90 percent were not wearing their life jackets.

Last edited by davidpm; 12-05-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook