SailNet Community - View Single Post - My first sailboat: Paceship 26 or Tartan 30?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009

Nitefly is on a distinguished road
My first sailboat: Paceship 26 or Tartan 30?

Greetings! This is my first post, but I have been doing research on this forum for the past few months however. I am preparing to purchase my first Good Old Boat and I have narrowed it down to two boats, both with some minor flaws (I hope). My intended use is for overnight camping on the Chesapeake bay with my wife and two teenage daughters and possibly a longer trip once a year. Any advice?

Here are my contenders:

1. 1976 Tartan 30 - Interior and Exterior both look great. Has dodger and bimini. There is one small soft spot on the deck. I thought that these were not cored decks, but the owner said it was. No roller furling. No shore power hook up. The atomic 4 engine looked in good condition and just had carb rebuilt. The main issue I see with this boat is that there is a small amount of seperation between the lead ballast (fin keel) and the rest of the keel. The owner stated the the yard mechanic said the bolts cannot be tightened further. He has been filling in a little whenever he paints the boat. It just looks like a 1/2 inch seem between the two. Is this a big issue?

2. 197X Paceship 26 - This boat is in great shape. Has bimini but no dodger. 5 year old Yanmar 1 cylinder 10hp diesel with low hours. Roller furling. beautifully maintained interior (both boats have minor leaks). This boat has an iron keel and there is a small area of rust at the leading edge that the owner does some maintenance on every year. Very nice boat and a little cheaper than the Tartan!

I am really torn between the two and if I can elimnate one and just get the survey on the other, that would save me some money. The wife really likes the Paceship and I am leaning toward the larger Tartan if the keel is not a big issue. Either way, I am excited to be taking the plunge!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook