SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just bought my first sailboat a Bristol 24
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009

Piperdude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEB64YC View Post
Piperdude ~

On your Jonah’s Charm site, saw that your OB can tip up out of the water, although the lazarette cover will not close all the way when it is. Have you modified the engine or the boat in any way to enable you to do this, or is that standard? What size (HP) is your engine? I have a Mercury 8HP 2-stroke long shaft on mine, and it will not tip up enough to get the prop out of the water.

Nice boat you have.

Would like to ask some more questions--please email me web at batchelerlaw dot com

Wayne Batcheler
Bristol 24 "Banoo" Hull #576
Noank, CT

Hi Wayne:

Saw your note on the B24.

The motor I have is a JOHNSON 15hp (electric everything). It's a great motor for the B24, in the sense that it can push through a significant chop without any strain or loss of speed.

Unfortunately, though, the lazerette lid won't close when the motor is tipped up out of the water. The stern has a cut-out to accommodate the longshaft when on a tilt. I've seen some B24's with a similar transom cut-out; but I've seen others without... mine came with it and has the cosmetic appearance of being original, rather than a modification by a former owner.

Cheers,

Martin

P.S. glad you like the site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook